Nave placas solares patatas melendez

100% of Patatas Meléndez’s energy consumption comes from renewable energies.

As a result of this agreement between the leading company in the potato sector and Axpo Iberia, the Meléndez facilities will avoid the emission of 1,680 tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere each year, the equivalent of the CO2 emitted by 33,600 round trips from Madrid to Barcelona.

This agreement, together with the installation of photovoltaic panels at the Meléndez factory for self-consumption, means that 100% of all the electricity consumed by the facilities of the Castilian and Leonese company, located in Medina del Campo, comes from renewable energies. The 20% is self-supplied with the installation of the panels and the remaining 80% is supplied by AXPO with green energy.

The CEO of Meléndez highlighted the importance of this type of alliance in creating a more sustainable planet for future generations. “At Patatas Meléndez we make our decisions always thinking about the impact they have on the environment, on people and on our workers”, he pointed out.

For his part, Axpo Iberia CEO Ignacio Soneira said he was proud that Meléndez, like the most responsible companies in the world, is committed to efficient energy use, energy savings and green energy consumption. “We share with our customers the concern for sustainability and protection of our environment and, therefore, we help them to meet their environmental commitments by supplying energy 100% from renewable sources”, he stressed.

Meléndez’s commitment to the environment This is not the only action of Patatas Meléndez in terms of sustainability. In fact, for decades it has been implementing various conservation practices to care for the fields and obtain the best possible potato quality at source, while respecting and protecting nature. As a result of this commitment to the environment, the leading company in the potato sector is committed to offering consumers a fresh, national, quality potato from May and throughout the year, which, by reducing product movements, reduces CO2 emissions and thus the carbon footprint.

In addition, Patatas Meléndez is working on new packaging with an optimum weight in relation to the product and a maximum guarantee of recycling. The company is also firmly committed to a 20% reduction in the use of plastics over the next three years.

This type of action, as explained by its CEO, Javier Meléndez, is a further step in its firm commitment to sustainability and the fight against climate change, in line with its Corporate Social Responsibility policy. As a result of this commitment, the company is

has recently become a signatory to the Spanish Global Compact Network, the world’s largest voluntary social responsibility initiative, through which Meléndez is committed to complying with the ten principles of the Global Compact and also contributing to the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).

Axpo Axpo, with 5,000 employees and operations in more than 30 countries in Europe and the United States, is the largest producer of renewable energies in Switzerland and an international leader in trading and marketing of solar and wind energy.

Axpo Iberia has been managing the largest independent portfolio of renewable plants on the Iberian Peninsula for more than 15 years and offers products and services in Spain and Portugal ranging from electricity and gas supply to energy efficiency and trading of electricity, gas, biomass, guarantees of origin and CO2.

Noticias relacionadas

Product was successfully added to your cart!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Recibirás un 20% de descuento para tu primera compra en nuestra tienda online.